July 21, 2018
It’s summer! And that means it is the time for popsicles, iced coffee, slushies, and more. If you are one of the approximately 18 million US adults who suffer from sensitive teeth, you probably aren’t enjoying all the cold treats with as much gusto as you could. But did you know there is often an effective solution for sensitive teeth? Keep reading to learn why it happens, and how you can find a solution from your dentist in North Sarasota.
What Causes Tooth Sensitivity?
Your teeth are made up of several layers. There is the outer layer of enamel, or the hard, white part that you can see. This part provides a protective shield for the softer dentin that lies right beneath. Sensitive nerve endings live here — and when the enamel decays or erodes and becomes thinner, exposure to heat and cold will cause sensitivity. Beneath the dentin is the root and pulp that keeps the tooth alive. If tooth decay reaches this area, severe pain can occur and a root canal may be required to rescue the tooth from extraction. If root canal is not likely to be successful, complete extraction of the tooth may be recommended.
Some of the causes of sensitivity include:
- Aggressive tooth brushing or using a hard brush that wears away the tooth enamel
- Excessive consumption of acidic foods and beverages
- Advanced tooth decay
- Certain medications that cause tooth enamel erosion
- Nighttime teeth grinding and jaw clenching
- Gum recession that leaves the root exposed
Solutions for Sensitivity
Talk to your dentist about solutions for your sensitive teeth. An examination can help to identify the source of the discomfort.
Some of the treatments that can help to reduce sensitivity include:
- A topical fluoride treatment to strengthen the tooth enamel
- Fine-tuning toothbrushing habits to prevent erosion
- A dental crown to restore the tooth
- Altering medications when possible
- Treatment for nighttime teeth grinding, like a customized mouthguard to cushion the tooth enamel
- Gum grafting procedures to cover up the exposed tooth root
Cheers to Summer!
Do not hesitate to find a solution for your sensitive teeth in July or August. Once you visit your dentist and identify a proper solution, you will be able to enjoy all that summer has to offer — like ice cream on the beach and a warm cup of coffee to greet each long, relaxing morning. You deserve to enjoy the season without discomfort!
Meet the Dentist
Dr. Warren G. Hoffman is a general dentist providing comprehensive dentistry services for patients of Parkway Ridge Dental. If you are suffering from tooth sensitivity, do not hesitate to discuss your options for treatment by getting in touch with his team. Go ahead and contact the office by phone — call 941-358-8830 today.