January 15, 2018
You drink a cup of hot tea or eat a dish of ice cream, and suddenly, a tooth hurts—really, really bad. One thing that can ruin a great meal is tooth sensitivity. The truth is that tooth sensitivity can be signaling larger, more critical dental health issues. In fact, if it becomes so painful, you may need to visit an emergency dentist in Sarasota!
What Causes Tooth Sensitivity?
You might have a strong smile one moment, then experience tooth sensitivity the next. Why is that? There are many reasons why your teeth can become suddenly sensitive, including:
- Large levels of tooth decay.
- Acid enamel erosion, caused by highly acidic foods and drinks like citrus fruits or alcohol.
- Enamel erosion caused by abrasive, aggressive brushing.
- Dental restorations that are failing or damaged.
- Advanced gum disease (periodontal disease) which causes gum and bone recession, exposing your very sensitive tooth roots.
- Sugary foods and drinks that can mix with dental bacteria that exists in your mouth, again leading to enamel erosion.
- Whitening your teeth too often with bleaching products, weakening the tooth enamel.
How Can You Treat Tooth Sensitivity?
Your dentist in Sarasota begins treatment with basic general, preventive dentistry. This consists of a complete thorough dental checkup to identify cavities, gum disease, or any of the other reasons listed above for your tooth sensitivity. Once you identify the cause, your dentist will be able to help you form a personalized treatment plan and solve your tooth sensitivity issue.
Some forms of tooth sensitivity treatment may include:
- Placing a dental restoration to address a cavity that formed from tooth decay.
- Periodontal therapy to reduce the symptoms associated with gum disease.
- Composite resin bonding to apply to exposed tooth roots, covering them from outside stimuli.
- Root canal therapy on teeth with deep dental decay or infected tooth nerves.
- Doctor-prescribed medication to treat the sensitivity.
- More helpful information to build enamel at home with specific dental products.
Do You Have a Sensitive Tooth?
If you are concerned that your tooth sensitivity comes from more than drinking an ice-cold drink, don’t ignore the pain—especially if it’s unbearable. You might need to seek rushed assistance with emergency dentistry. Your Sarasota dentist would be more than happy to help you relieve your dental pain in your time of need.
About Our Office
Here at Parkway Ridge Dental, we understand that tooth pain is a big inconvenience. As discomforting as it is, there are way too many patients that will ignore it until they can’t take the pain any longer. If you choose to visit our office, we want you to feel comfortable reaching out to us to receive the dental care you truly need. In fact, you should give us a call at the first instance that your teeth don’t feel normal. Getting the dental care your smile needs is just as simple as giving our local office a call!